Sherborne Abbey - Transept - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
This panoramic image was taken from the transept of Sherborne Abbey (St. Mary the Virgin). The panorama opens facing the Chior and High Altar. To the left is the pulpit and to the right is the lectern. Both date from the 1800's. In the north transept the picture shows the massive organ built in 1856. In the south transept is the Baroque, white marble monument to John Digby 3rd Earl of Bristol (1698) and his two wives. It is impossible for a panorama like this to give a true sense of scale and size of the church.
Sherborne Abbey - Transept - FURTHER INFORMATION
Sherborne Abbey - Transept - Sherborne visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Sherborne Abbey - Transept' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Dorset.
Panorama from the transept of Sherborne Abbey. The church is actually called the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, but commonly referred to simply as Sherborne Abbey. The notable points of the church visible in this panoramic picture include:
- The High Altar below the Great East Window and the Choir area.
The Pulpit: Stands to the left of the Choir area. It was designed by B Ingelow and carved by James Forsyth in 1899.
- The Lectern: Standing to the right of the Choir area. It was designed by R H Carpenter and manufactured by Potter's of London in 1869.
- The Organ: Built in 1856 by Gray & Davidson. The organ has been modified and rebuilt a number of times. The most recent rebuild was in 2004/5.
- The North Transept: The organ stands in the North Transept. Next to this is the Horsey Tomb, found in the Wykeham Chapel. It contains effigies of Sir John Horsey (1546) and his son (1564) dressed in 15C armour. Sir John brought the abbey and then sold it to the town to be used as a parish church.
- The South Transept: This contains a Baroque monument to John Digby, 3rd Earl of Bristol (1698), and his two wives, executed in white mable. There is another monument to John Digby outside the church. The Te Deum window in the south transept was designed by Augustus Pugin and the roof is a Victorian copy of the original medieval one.
Other Panoramas from Sherborne Abbey:
The Parish Office,
3 Abbey Close,
Dorset DT9 3LQ
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Sherborne Abbey (The Church of St Mary the Virgin) is on Trendle Street and Abbey Road in Sherborne. Sherborne is about 20 miles north of Dorchester on the A352, and 5 miles east of Yeovil on the A30.