Sherborne Abbey - Lady Chapel - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
This panoramic image was taken from the ambulatory of Sherborne Abbey and shows the Lady Chapel. There are numerous flags hanging from the walls high in the ambulatory, one of them was the Dorsetshire Regimental colours, but it is not visible in this picture. The Lady Chapel itself has a great stained galss window and below it a more recent engraved window. There was someone cleaning and re-filling all the candles stands you can see to the right of the chapel at the time I was taking this image.
Sherborne Abbey - Lady Chapel - FURTHER INFORMATION
Sherborne Abbey - Lady Chapel - Sherborne visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Sherborne Abbey - Lady Chapel' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Dorset.
Panorama from the Ambulatory of Sherborne Abbey showing the Lady Chapel. The notable points of the church visible in this panoramic picture include:
- The Lady Chapel: This dates from the 13C and was at one time a separate building from the rest of Sherborne Abbey. The stained glass window was made by Christopher Webb in the 1930's. It shows Mary with Jesus as a child. The engraved glass reredos below it was designed and engraved by Lawrence Whistler in 1969. The symbolism contained within it relate to Mary.
- Chapel to St. Mary le Bow: You can just see the entrance to this chapel leading off from the south side of the Lady Chapel. This chapel is used as a baptistry and restoration work in 1921 uncovered evidence that parts of it date from the 14C.
- The Vestry: The wooden paneling on the north side of the Lady Chapel forms the wall to the vestry.
Other Panoramas from Sherborne Abbey:
The Parish Office,
3 Abbey Close,
Dorset DT9 3LQ
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Sherborne Abbey (The Church of St Mary the Virgin) is on Trendle Street and Abbey Road in Sherborne. Sherborne is about 20 miles north of Dorchester on the A352, and 5 miles east of Yeovil on the A30.