The Hardy Monument - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
This panoramic picture was taken just to the west of the Hardy Monument at the edge of the car park. The monument itself was not open at the time, so it was not possible to take a panorama from the top. This is a fairly typical scene in a sunny afternoon over the hills of Dorset with the moist sea air being driven inland by an onshore wind and rising above the hills to form a majestic bank of clouds. To the south the view extends to the coast and over the English Channel.
The Hardy Monument - FURTHER INFORMATION
The Hardy Monument - Dorchester visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'The Hardy Monument' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Dorset.
Hardy's Monument is a 72 foot tall stone tower monument built in 1844 in memory of Vice-Admiral Sir Thomas Masterman Hardy (1769-1839), who served on HMS Victory in the Battle of Trafalgar. It is built on a hill and represents a ship's spyglass. The hill was chosen partly because Sir Thomas Hardy lived in Portesham, a nearby village, before entering the navy. The monument is visible for many miles on top of the hill, and offers great panoramic views of the surrounding area.
The Hardy Monument is now managed by the National Trust, and has become something of a tourist attraction, albeit one off the beaten track. It is sometimes open to the public to ascend to the top, though the numbers allowed up are limited, and there is an entrance fee. There is a car park by the monument, and contributions to the upkeep of this car park are gratefully received by the land owners, who do not charge a fee, or receive any other support or benifit for it's use.