Panorama taken near the far end of the Panathenaic Stadium showing the statues looking down the running track. On the left of the end is a large gate through which nude athletes would arrive to compete in ancient times.
Panathenaic Stadium - Athens visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Panathenaic Stadium' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Attica.
The The Panathenaic Stadium (Παναθηναϊκό Στάδιο) is one of the main tourist attractions in Athens. The first stadium on the site was constructed as as simple race course for the Panathenaic Games by the Athenian statesman Lykourgos in around 330 BC. It was rebuilt in Pentelic marble by the Roman, Anthenian senator Herodes Atticus in the 2nd century AD and had a capacity of 50,000. It is the only stadium in the world to be made entirely of marble.
After the 4th century the site was largely abandoned and forgotten and by the 15th century only a few rows of seats remained. The site was excavated in the 19th century and used for the Zappas Olympics in 1870 and 1875. It was refurbished once again in Pentelic Marble in the 1890's and held the opening and closing ceremonies of the 1896 Olympic games.