Panorama taken from the inside of Sant'Eustachio church in Rome. Image taken in 2006.
Sant'Eustachio Church - Rome visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Sant'Eustachio Church' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Roma.
Sant'Eustachio is a Roman Catholic titular church in Rome . Founded in the 8th century and named after St Eustace, the church stands close to the Pantheon . During the reign of Pope Gregory II (715-731), it was known as a diaconia (a centre for helping the poor and the sick). During the reign of Pope Celestine III in the 12th century the church was restored and a new campanile (bell tower) was added. Apart from the campanile, most of the current building dates from the 17th and 18th centuries and during this period a number of chapels, a new bronze and polychrome marble High Altar and baldachin were added.
Inside, the church is decorated in Baroque style with a rib vault stuccoed with flowers and leaves. Some of the main highlights within the church include:
- Dome over the crossing is decorated with a representation of the Holy Spirit.
- Main altarpiece representing the martyrdom of Saint Eustace and his family who were roasted to death inside a bronze statue of a bull or an ox, in the year AD 118 and painted in 1727 by Francesco Ferdinandi.
- Church Organ which covers much of the rear of the church and made by Johann Conrad Werle in 1767.
- The Penitent Magdalene stained glass window from the late 19th century made by Gabriel and Louis Gesta di Tolosa.
- Chapel of the Holy Family installed in 1854 which contains a small statue of Saint Raymond Nonnatus.
- Chapel of the Annunciation containing an altarpiece by Ottavio Lioni (1586–1630) depicting the Annunciation.
- Chapel of Saint Julian the Hospitaller which was renovated in 1706 and contains an altarpiece by Biagio Puccini (1675–1721) showing St. Julian curing a leper and welcoming an old pilgrim.
Church/ Chiesa di Sant'Eustachio
Via di Sant'Eustachio, 19
00186, Rome, Lazio, Italy
Metro: Colosseo (Blue line)