Thunderbird Park - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Thunderbird Park contains a collection of totem poles and a Big House. It has become a local tourist attraction with people flocking to get their pictures taken beside the poles. This panorama shows some of the poles located here. The Big House is to the north.
Thunderbird Park - FURTHER INFORMATION
Thunderbird Park - Greater Victoria visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Thunderbird Park' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Vancouver Island.
The first totem pole was erected in Thunderbird Park in 1940, and the park opened in 1941. In 1992 all the original totem poles were replaced, and some of the originals moved inside the neighbouring Royal British Columbia Museum. The park also contains a Big House, built by the Kwakwaka'wakw chief Mungo Martin in 1953. Martin oversaw the carving of the replica totems, and remained chief carver on the site until his death in 1962. The big house on the site is known as Mungo Martin House. Thunderbird park is part of the Royal BC Museum Cultural Precinct, which contains a number of historical monuments.
Thunderbird Park is next to the Royal British Columbia Museum, which has an extensive gallery of First Nation exhibits. The museum is the large building on the western edge of Thunderbird Park, visible in this panorama. Also visible is the white fence which surrounds Historic Helmcken House. Through the poles you can make out the roof of the famous Empress Hotel and just to the south is the Victoria Conference Center.