Liberia - FURTHER INFORMATION
Liberia - Liberia visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Liberia' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Guanacaste.
Liberia is the capital of the Guanacaste province in Costa Rica. It is very popular with tourist as a travel hub having an international airport. Liberia is also close to several good beach resorts to the west as well as the Rincon de la Vieja National Park to the north and Lomas Barbudal Biological Reserve to the south. The city has numerous hotels and hostels to suit all budgets as well as good connections to the beaches. Attractions in and around Liberia include
- Playa del Coco and Playa Hermosa - tropical beaches with hotels and beach resorts, great for relaxing in the sun and water sports.
- Museo de Sabanero - cowboy museum housed in the Casa de Culture colonial era house in Liberia.
- Africa Mia - recently opened offering tourists African style safari trips.
- Rincón de la Vieja Volcano National Park - full of hiking trails thorugh tropical jungle and home of the famous Rincón de la Vieja Volcano.
- El Día de la Anexion Fiesta - takes place on July 25, full of music and colour, marimba bands, horse shows, cattle auctions and rodeo.
- Fiestas Civicas de Liberia - fiesta during the last week of February and first week of March with bull fights.
- Lomas de Barbudal Biological Reserve - 6,536 acres of jungle full of wildlife and trails.
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Flight:Liberia International Airport (LIR)
Road: Liberia is about 220 kms (138 mi) Northwest San Jose.