Maria Am Gestade - FURTHER INFORMATION
Maria Am Gestade - Vienna visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Maria Am Gestade' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Wien.
Maria am Gestade (St. Mary on the Strand) is one of the oldest buildings in Vienna. A wooden church may have stood on the site in the 9C. It was at one time on the banks of the Danube and served as a place of worship for fishermen and sailors. Documents from 1158 are the first to mention a church here. The present church is a Gothic style building erected between 1394 and 1414. In 1409 the church became part of the Diocese of Passau, and remained an enclave when the Diocese of Vienna was established in 1469. It was used as an arms depot by Napoleon and caught fire in 1809. The church is associated with the Czech community in Vienna.
The elaborate filigree spire symbolizes the Virgin's heavenly crown, and is 56m high. The remains of the Patron Saint of Vienna, Klemens Maria Hofbauer (1751-1820) lie in one of the side chapels. The windows contain surviving fragments of mediæval stained glass.
1, Salvatorgasse 12
U-Bhan : (U1, U3) Stephansplatz, (U1, U4) Schwedenplatz
Bus / Tram : 1A, 2A, 3A