Photo By Peter Watts
Naturhistorisches Museum
 

Search for Hotels in Vienna



Naturhistorisches Museum - FURTHER INFORMATION

Naturhistorisches Museum - Vienna visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Naturhistorisches Museum' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Wien.

The Naturhistorisches Museum

The Naturhistorisches Museum in Maria-Theresien-Platz opened in 1889A statue of an elephant in front of the building makes for a good photo oportunity. The ground floor contains a vivarium and aquarium. The mineral collection here is impressive, with huge slabs of green malachite, large quartz crystals and an enormous red ammonite. One room contains objects made from semi-precious stoned, like an ostrich made of 761 precious gems and 2102 diamonds (given as a morning after wedding present by Empress Maria Theresia to Franz Stephan. The mineralogy room also contains the Caryatid Symbolizing Iron, a well armoured warrior.

The Venus of Willendorf, an 11cm high, 24,000 year old fertility symbol, takes pride of place in the Prehistoric Section. Here also are the < b>Hallstatt Archaeological Finds including a reconstructed Early Iron Age chariot from the Bycis Kala cave in Moravia, some Thracian silver and a large collection of skulls.

The third floor is dedicated entirely to zoology, except for the Mikrotheater where micrographs are displayed on a projection screen.

Maria-Theresien-Platz

Maria-Theresien-Platz lies over the Burgring from the Neue Burg. In the center of the platz, as seen in this panorama, is a large statue of Empress Maria Theresia. She is holding the Pragmatic Sanction of 1713 which allowed female heirs to inherit the Habsburg throne. Four equine statues of four generals surround the central statue. Against the plinth are statues of her principle advisors. The square is divided into four quadrants with a fountain at the center of each one.

It was intended that Maria-Theresien-Platz be linked to Neue Burg across the Burg Ring by two massive arches. This plan was abandoned with the fall of the Habsburgs, however the two Baroque buildings with large copper domes were built facing each other on opposite sides of the square. These became the Kunsthistoriches Museum and the Naturhistorisches Museum

Address:
Maria-Theresien-Platz
1010 Wien
Phone : +43(1)525240

Transport:
U-Bhan : (U2) Museumsqartier, (U2, U3) Volsktheatre
Bus / Tram : 1, 2, 57A, D, J

Recent Local Panoramas

Aqua City St. Pölten - 12 hour charity swim event 2012
Aqua City St. Pölten - 12 hour charity swim event 2012 / St. Pölten
Votivkirche
Votivkirche / Vienna
Volksgarten and Theseus Temple
Volksgarten and Theseus Temple / Vienna
Volkstheatre
Volkstheatre / Vienna
Urania
Urania / Vienna
Technisches Museum
Technisches Museum / Vienna
Taborstrasse Bridge over Donaukanal
Taborstrasse Bridge over Donaukanal / Vienna
Graben and Petersplatz
Graben and Petersplatz / Vienna


Google





Real Time Web Analytics