Ruprechtskirche - FURTHER INFORMATION
Ruprechtskirche - Vienna visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Ruprechtskirche' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Wien.
Ruprechtskirche dates back to the 11C and is dedicated to Saint Rupert of Salzburg, patron saint of the salt merchants of Vienna. The church stands in the oldest part of Vienna which was the original Celtic settlement that became Vindobona when the Romans established a frontier town and fort here.
As well as being the oldest church in Vienna, Ruprechtskirche also houses the oldest bells in Vienna (dating from around 1280) and the oldest stained glass window panes (approximately 1370) which depict a crucified Christ and the Madonna with baby. A statue of Saint Rupert is located in the north part of the main tower.
St. Ruprecht Church
(Vienna's Salt Merchants' Church)
Vienna, A-1010 Austria
U-Bhan : (U2) Rathaus
Tram / Bus : 1, 2, J, D