Cross of Sacrifice Memorial Garden - FURTHER INFORMATION
Cross of Sacrifice Memorial Garden - Adelaide visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Cross of Sacrifice Memorial Garden' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from South Australia.
The Cross of Sacrifice Memorial stands in gardens close to St Peter's Cathedral, a little north of Adelaide city center. The gardens contains the Cross of Sacrifice, a memorial to the men who dies during the Great War (WWI) of 1914-1920. The foundation stone for the cross memorial was laid on August 4 1920. The memorial is 11.6m high, made of Tea Tree Gully stone, and on the face is the Crusader's Sword. At the far end of the garden is the Stone of Remembrance with an engraving stating 'Their Name Liveth For Evermore'. This stone, mounted on 3 marble slabs was laid in 1923 and is made of Palmer marble.
This garden was created by the Womens War Memorial from funds given by women throughout South Australia just after the Great War. They form part of the large Peace Park which also incorporates the Prince Henry Gardens, Ester Lipman Gardens, and the Pioneer Women's Memorial Gardens.