St Columba's Chapel in St John the Divine Cathedral - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
A panorama showing St Columba Chapel, one of the Chapels of the Seven Tongues within the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine in New York. The most striking features of this chapel include tall stained glass windows, plain stone walls and two pillars decorated with a spiral pattern. Apart from these pillars the rest of the chapel is quite empty.
St Columba's Chapel in St John the Divine Cathedral - FURTHER INFORMATION
St Columba's Chapel in St John the Divine Cathedral - New York visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'St Columba's Chapel in St John the Divine Cathedral' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from New York.
St Columba's Chapel is one of the Chapels of the Seven Tongues behind the altar of the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine in New York. This chapel stands between St Boniface's Chapel and St Savior's Chapel. It is linked to these by small wooden doors set into the walls.
St. Columba's chapel was built in 1911 and honours the Celtic and English Christian traditions, and is named after Columba. Born in Ireland, Columba was as a scholar, diplomat and preacher who formed a mission base on the island of Iona for the evangelism of Scotland, Ireland and northern England. This Norman/Romanesque chapel contains 62 paintings depicting the life of St Columba. The two cylindrical pillars are based on similar pillars in the Durham Cathedral in England.
The Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine
1047 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, New York 10025
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Subway: Cathedral Parkway - 110th Street (Line 1, B, C), 116th Street - Columbia University (Line 1), 116th Street (B, C)