Am Platz - FURTHER INFORMATION
Am Platz - Vienna visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Am Platz' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Wien.
The Schloßpark at Schönbrunn was opened to the public in in 1779 and has since been at the top of the 'to do' list of most tourists visiting Vienna. It has been listed as a UNESCO heritage site since 1996. It is easy to spend a day at Schonbrunn simply wondering around the Schlosspark. This panorama shows one of the many tree-lined avenues found in the park.
Am Platz in Hietzing was originally called Marienplatz, and then Kircheplatz (Church Square) after the Maria-Hietzing Kirche on the square before receiving the current name in 1894. The Maria-Hietzing Kirche (obscured by the trees here) was first established in 1253. The current building dates from the late 17C.
Hietzting lies to the east of Schönbrunn. In past times some of the village fields were purchased and used for the Court Plant Garden in the Schlosspark. The Hietzingertor (Hietzing Gate) is a short distance away and leads into the Schlosspark itself. Entrance to the park is free, but several of the attractions inside are ticketed.
With the arrival of the Habsburgs at Schönbrunn, the surrounding area of Hietzing rapidly became favourable among the wealthy and now contains numerous notable houses and gardens. Hietzing also provides the nearest place to Schönbrunn to get some refreshments outside of the palace grounds.
U-Bhan: Hietzing (U4)
Trams / Bus: 10, 50, 58, 58b 10A