Government Buildings Historic Reserve - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
A panorama taken in front of the Government Buildings Historic Reserve in Wellington. This building used to house the civil service. This building is now surrounded on three sides by modern tall office blocks, and it's red roof stands out on the satellite view of the Google map of Wellington.
Government Buildings Historic Reserve - FURTHER INFORMATION
Government Buildings Historic Reserve - Wellington visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Government Buildings Historic Reserve' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Wellington Region.
The Government Buildings Historic Reserve is next to the New Zealand Parliament Buildings in Wellington, and are also known as the Old Government Buildings. Built of timber in 1876 to house the entire Civil Service, it is now the largest wooden structure, and one of the most important historic buildings, of New Zealand.
The building took 22 months to complete and the Executive Council met here until 1948. It contained two staircases, eight vaults, 143 rooms, 126 fireplaces, 22 chimneys, two hydraulic lifts, 64 toilets, eight verandahs and seven porticos. By 1975 all of the government departments except the Education Department had left the building. Some restoration work was carried out in the 1980's but by 1990 it was empty. In 1994, ownership of the building transferred to the Department of Conservation and restoration work began in earnest, costing NZ$25 Million and 2 years to complete. Thus in 1996 the Government Buildings Historic Reserve was completed and is now occupied by the Law Faculty of Victoria University under a 50 year tenancy agreement.
Thought the Government Buildings Historic Reserve is not generally open to the public, it is worth seeing as probably the largest wooden 'office block' in the world. Just over the road to the north are the Parliament Buildings and Sclupture Square. At the far end of the parliament buildings is the General Assembly Library which was built around the same time as the Old Government Buildings.
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Government Buildings Historic Reserve is on Lambton Quay.