St Michael's Gate - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
A panorama taken from Michalska street in the Old Town showing the restaurants with seating in the street and the only remaining city gate - Michael's Gate.
St Michael's Gate - FURTHER INFORMATION
St Michael's Gate - Bratislava visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'St Michael's Gate' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Bratislava kraj.
Michael's Gate (Slovakian: Michalska brana, German: Michaelistor) is the only remaining medieval city gate to the Old Town in Bratislava. The gate was built in the 14C, though it was adapted into the current Baroque style in 1758 when the statue of St Michael and the Dragon was installed on the top.
During Hungarian rule, the new kings would process through the streets after their coronation at St Martin's Cathedral, pausing at Michael's Gate to take the oath of kings to the hands of the archbishop. This tradition covered 19 Hungarian kings between 1563-1830. In 1529 the gate was razed and rebuilt in the current form between 1553-58.
Today the gate has become a tourist attraction and contains a museum of medieval fortification of Bratislava (Pressburg, Pozsony), part of the Slovak National Museum. On the sixth floor of the tower there is a balcony that offers a magnificent view of the Old City, the Castle, and surrounding areas. Entering the Old City from the north brings visitors into Michalska street, which is lined with cafes and restaurants, many of which have seating in the street.