Slovak National Theatre Historical Building - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
A panorama taken from Hviezdoslavovo nam showing the front of the Historical building of the Slovak National Theater. As well as the theatre building, the picture shows the stalls and stands that line Hviezdoslavovo nam selling food and other tourist items.
Slovak National Theatre Historical Building - FURTHER INFORMATION
Slovak National Theatre Historical Building - Bratislava visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Slovak National Theatre Historical Building' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Bratislava kraj.
The historical building of the Slovak National Theatre stands at the eastern end of Hviezdoslavovo nam (Hviezdoslav Square), a wide boulevard on the southern side of the Old Town in Bratislava. It was built in 1885-6 during the Austro-Hungarian Empire by the Viennese architects R. Fellner and H. Helmer. It was designed for 1000 spectators, decorated with lavish frescoes and illuminated by 800 gas lamps. The first performance here was the opera Bánk bán of Ferenc Erkel on September 22, 1886. First called the 'City Theatre', it became known as the 'Slovak National Theatre in 1920. In 1997 the theatre occupied new buildings on the banks of the River Danube.
Hviezdoslavovo nam, on which the Historical Building of the Slovak National Theatre stands, is a popular boulevard style pedestrianised street which runs along the southern edge of the Old Town. The street, also known as Hviezdoslav square, has fountains, statues and various seating along the length. It is lined with cafes, shops, restaurants and numerous hotels, including the Hotel Radisson SAS Carlton.
Slovak National Theatre
Pribinova 17, SK-815 86 Bratislava
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Tram: Nový most (4, 10, 12, 17), Jesenského (4, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17)
Bus: Nový most