Museum of Wellington City & Sea - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
A panorama showing the outside of the Museum of Wellington City & Sea on Queens Wharf.
Museum of Wellington City & Sea - FURTHER INFORMATION
Museum of Wellington City & Sea - Wellington visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Museum of Wellington City & Sea' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Wellington Region.
The museum is a popular tourist attraction, is free to enter, and has been voted one of the best museums in the city. Inside, visitors find the story and history of Wellington, with a focus on it's long association with the sea. There are panoramas showing some of the items on display from the various collections.
The museum contains 6 collections:
- Object Collection - the largest collection in the museum includes the Pain collection of Mãori taonga, boats, communications equipment, furniture, lifesaving equipment, machinery/tools, medals and coins, navigation equipment, ship fittings and equipment, ship models and tableware.
- Charts and Plans - collection of maritime charts and plans of New Zealand showing how understanding of the country developed over time.
- Artwork Collection - contains over 1200 original pieces from maritime artists.
- Ephemera - printed material associated with all aspects of shipping, both commercial and tourist related.
- Image Collection - over 30,000 prints and 10,000 negatives along with various other film archives.
- Textile Collection - Uniforms, flags, linens, and more associated with various sectors of the shipping and leisure industries.
Museum of Wellington City & Sea
1 Jervois Quay, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
+64 4 472 8904
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Queens Wharf is off Jervis Quay