Port Levy Bay - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Panorama of Port Levy and the surrounding hills and coastline on the northern side of the Banks Peninsula. The image was taken at low tide at low tide from the stony beach at the end of the bay on which both Port Levy and Puari rest. The low clouds and steep hills adding a moody impression to the scene.
Port Levy Bay - FURTHER INFORMATION
Port Levy Bay - Banks Peninsula visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Port Levy Bay' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Canterbury.
Port Levy is a small fishing village on the northern side of the Banks Peninsula in Canterbury. In the mid 1800's Port Levy was the largest Māori settlement in Canterbury. Today the population has shrunk to about 100 people. This region was settled by Ngai Tūāhuriri sub-tribe of Ngāi Tahu. Chief Moki named the bay 'Koukourarata' after a stream in Wellington in memory of the birth of his father, Tu Ahuriri.
Port Levy is often included as part of wider Diamond Harbour in tourist and visitor information. Very few outsiders travel as far as Port Levy. It was the scene of some of the filming of Peter Jackson's film 'Heavenly Creatures'.
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Port Levy is about 45km from Christchurch and 38km from Lyttelton. From both the road to Port Levy passes through Governors Bay and winds slowly around the bays of the Banks Peninsula. The final stretch from Purau to Port Levy winds over up steep hills.