Cable Car Terminal at Fisherman's Wharf - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Crowds wait at this Cable Car turnaround station next to the Aquatic Park and Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. The cable car is a fantastically popular tourist attraction in San Francisco with thousands of people using it daily for the thrilling ride over the steep hills to Union Square. As can be seen in this panorama, the queues can get quite long.
Cable Car Terminal at Fisherman's Wharf - FURTHER INFORMATION
Cable Car Terminal at Fisherman's Wharf - San Francisco visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Cable Car Terminal at Fisherman's Wharf' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from California.
Iconic cable cars (trams) arrive right here at the heart of famous Fishermans Wharf's many attractions. The sandy beach of Aquatic Park is just yards away across Victoria Park and Horseshoe Municipal Pier. The red brick buildings and legendary chocolate shop of Ghirardelli's Square are one block away. The Visitor's Center for the Maritime National Historical Park is right beside this cable car station and Pier 39 is a minute's walk to the east. Some of the attractions within just a few minutes walk include:
- SS Jeremiah O'Brien and USS Pampanito - WWII veteran ships
- Balclutha Tall Ship - 1900s cargo ship which sailed around the world
- Eureka Ferry ship - carried trains and automobiles across the Bay 100 years ago
- Aquarium of the Bay with interactive petting tanks and undersea viewing walkways
- Fisherman's Wharf yacht marina where pleasure craft and small boat tours berth
- Musee Mecanique collection of pre-computer, mechanised amusements and games
- Sea Lions visiting Pier 39 viewpoint - a star attraction in their own right
- Pier 39 Shopping Mall - over 200 shops and plenty cafes catering for visitors
- Children's Carousel on Pier 39
From here, you also get magnificent views across the bay to watch the sunset over the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz Island, Angel Island National Park and Treasure Island. Whether enjoying a quiet jog along the waterfront piers at dawn, discovering the sights and attractions with the visitors or strolling along the harbour to soak in the warmth of the evening sunset, this area is as unmissable as the chance to make your way here on one of these cable cars.
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Bus: 10, 49
Cable Car: Fisherman's Wharf