Historic Railway Station - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Hawker's Historic Railway Station
Historic Railway Station - FURTHER INFORMATION
Historic Railway Station - Hawker visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Historic Railway Station' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from South Australia.
Named after George Charles Hawker (one-time Speaker of the House in the South Australian parliament), was established in 1880 when the Ghan railway arrived. This railway station was built in 1884 after the first timber building burnt down. The Ghan train to Marree, and later Alice Springs, passed through Hawker until 1956. It then closed and Hawker operated a local line until 1970. In 1989 the station was restored to become the Old Ghan Restaurant and Gallery, which currently serves tourists visiting the nearby Flinders Ranges.
Throughout the 1880s the town was a centre for wheat farming with its wheat recognised as some of the best in South Australia. But the climatic zone is officially described as semi-arid with an annual rainfall of only 175-300mm and a few years of serous drought wiped out a number of substantial wheat farms which had prospered in the area. Main activities today are tourism and pastoral runs with low stocking rates of only 1 sheep per 3-4 hectares.
Visitor Information Centre:
Tel +61 8 8648 4022
Fax +61 8 8648 4283
Freecall:1800 777 880
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Road: Hawker is about 100km north of Port Augusta on the B83 Road.