Haast - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
This panorama from Haast was taken late on a summer afternoon during a drive from Wanaka to Fox Glacier. A cyclone had just passed through and the clouds seen here are the trailing edge of the storm. The petrol station shown in this panorama bills itself as the last station between Haast and Fox Glacier. Fuel prices are expensive.
Haast - FURTHER INFORMATION
Haast - Haast visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Haast' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from West Coast.
Haast is made of three different settlements at the southern end of the West Coast of New Zealand. These are known as Haast, Haast Junction and Haast Beach. They all lie on the southern side of the mouth of the Haast River, which originates high up at Haast Pass in the Southern Alps. The town, river and pass are all named after Julius von Haast, a German geologist who worked for the Nelson and Canterbury Provinces in the late 19C.
More importantly today, Haast provides a resting stop in the journey from Wanaka and Central Otago to Fox Glacier. This is a popular tourist route around South Island, not least because it is the only route from Wanaka and Queenstown to the West Coast. The route is actually quite recent, and the road to Wanaka only opened in 1966. When driving from the Haast Pass the rugged mountain terrain opens up onto flood plains.
Haast - sights and attractionsHaast is very small. Nearby attractions inlcude:
- Gate of Haast - dramatic, narrow iron bridge over the Haast River at the Haast Pass.
- Haast Pass - pass road in Mount Aspiring National Park surrounded by forest with dramatic scenery and waterfalls, including the popular Thunder Creek Falls.
- Haast Bridge - long, single lane road bridge with passing spaces that crosses the braided Haast River]].
- Haast Beach - beautiful, remote sandy beach near to Haast.
- Knights Point Lookout - dramatic viewpoint over the coast some 27km north-east of Haast.
- Lake Moeraki - glacial lake surrounded by mountains about 30km north-east of Haast.
- The Salmon Farm Cafe - popular cafe with good food on the banks of the Paringa River just beyond lake Paringa, about 60km from Haast.