Canongate Kirk - Inside - Edinburgh visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Canongate Kirk - Inside' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Lothian.
Canongate Kirk (Kirk of the Canongate) in Edinburgh is a congregational church of the Church of Scotland. Within the church parish is the Palace of Holyroodhouse and the Scottish Parliament. It also serves Edinburgh Castle, though this is outside the parish.
The church was built in 1691 by James Smith. The exterior of the church has a Dutch-style end gable and a small, doric-columned portico over the entrance. Inside, the church is not ornate, but the architecture is balanced and allows in a lot of natural light with tall arch, and circular, windows. The interior is decorated in white, with red carpet and light blue painted pews. At the back of the hall is a Danish-built Frobenius pipe organ installed in 1998 in memory of the late Very Rev Dr Ronald Selby Wright.
Canongate Kirk is a military church, and there are various Standards and Colours that demonstrate this fact found within it. Above the nave of the church hang the Colours of the King's Own Scottish Borderers and the 'Dandy Ninth' and the Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment). Also in the church are the standards of former Governors of Edinburgh Castle and the Coat of Arms of the Very Reverend Dr Ronald Selby Wright, former Minister of Canongate.
Over the boiler room, seen to the right of the apse, hangs a banner commemorating the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. It hung above the pulpit of St Giles when the Queen visited Scotland in 1953. The banner is flanked by the Standards of the Royal British Legion Scotland.
In the 1970s the lower part of the Royal Mile and Canongate became run down and the church was threatened with closure. The fortunes of the area have picked up in recent year and the church is now one of the tourist attractions on the Royal Mile. It stands next to The People's Story (the old ) and opposite the Museum of Edinburgh. The church and associated graveyard are clearly visible from the South Viewpoint on the top of Carlton Hill.
Bus: Various to North Bridge and South Bridge, 35 down Canongate from South Bridge. Walk: The museum stands on Cannongate, the lower part of the Royal Mile. It is about 10 minutes walk from Edinburgh Castle and 5 minutes from the Scottish Parliament and the Palace of Holyroodhouse.