Edinburgh Castle - Argyle Battery - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Panorama taken from the Argyle Battery showing the view from Edinburgh Castle north over Edinburgh.
Edinburgh Castle - Argyle Battery - FURTHER INFORMATION
Edinburgh Castle - Argyle Battery - Edinburgh visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Edinburgh Castle - Argyle Battery' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Lothian.
The 6 canons of the Argyle Battery formed the northern defense of Edinburgh Castle, with views over Princes Street Gardens and the northern parts of Edinburgh. The Argyle Battery was installed next to Argyle Tower during major defensive improvements carried out during the 1720s and 1730s. Next to it is a dramatic panoramic viewpoint from the castle walls.
These improvements were made after a report in 1728 by General Wade after the Jacobites almost took the castle during the First Jacobite Rising. On the 8 September, about 100 Jacobite Highlanders attempted to scale the castle walls aided by ropes lowered by members of the castle garrison. The ropes were too short, the attack failed and the garrison soldiers involved were either hanged or flogged.
Next to the Argyle Battery is the One o'Clock gun, toilets and a cafe. From here the paths of the Middle Ward lead to various museums and up to Foog's Gate and the Upper Ward.
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Bus: 24 to Lawnmarket.
Walk: Edinburgh Castle is at the western end of the Royal Mile, which leads down east to the Palace of Holyroodhouse and the Scottish Parliament. This is about 15 minutes walk from Waverley Station and the Tourist Information Centre.