Edinburgh Castle - Argyle Tower - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Panorama taken inside the Argyle Tower at Edinburgh Castle
Edinburgh Castle - Argyle Tower - FURTHER INFORMATION
Edinburgh Castle - Argyle Tower - Edinburgh visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Edinburgh Castle - Argyle Tower' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Lothian.
Argyle Tower rises above the Portcullis Gate of Edinburgh Castle, which forms the separation between the Lower Ward and Middle Ward of the castle. Inside the tower is a model of the castle and some other exhibits. The tower is accessed via Lang Stairs which leads up from near the Castle Gate and the Argyle Battery to the Upper Ward of the castle, near to Forewall Battery and the Mons Meg Gun.
Argyle Tower was built in the 1880's during works carried out by Hippolyte Blanc and funded by William Nelson, a publisher. At the same time the Great Hall was restored, having been used as a barracks for many years, and in 1886 Portcullis Gate, under the tower, was rebuilt for the fourth time. The original Portcullis Gate was built to replace Constable's Tower which was destroyed during the Lang Siege (1571-73). The Gate was rebuilt in 1584 and then again in 1750.
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Bus: 24 to Lawnmarket.
Walk: Edinburgh Castle is at the western end of the Royal Mile, which leads down east to the Palace of Holyroodhouse and the Scottish Parliament. This is about 15 minutes walk from Waverley Station and the Tourist Information Centre.