Panorama showing Douglas Garden in Stirling Garden.
Stirling Castle - Douglas Garden - Stirling visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Stirling Castle - Douglas Garden' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Stirlingshire.
Douglas Garden lies behind the Chapel Royal next to the Inner Close of Stirling Castle. It is a small, peaceful garden surrounded by high walls. The garden is named after William Douglas, the 8th Earl of Douglas.
William Douglas was murdered by James II here on 21 February 1452. James II had raided the Douglas lands while the latter was on a pilgrimage to Rome. James II later extended in invitation to William to visit him in Stirling under conduct of safe passage. There he demanded that William terminate his league with Alexander Lindsay, the 'Tiger' earl of Crawford. William refused and James then killed him with his own hands. Aided by his courtiers, he threw William Douglas out of a window into the gardens below.
Stirling, FK8 1EJ
The route to Stirling Castle is marked along back streets ascending through the Old Town to the Esplanade in Stirling. Parking available at the end of the Esplanade. Stirling Castle is managed by Historic Scotland and entrance is ticketed.