Holy Rude Graveyard - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
360 Panorama taken from the highest point in the cemetery next to the Church of the Holy Rude in Stirling. This vantage point offers great views over the surrounding countryside.
Holy Rude Graveyard - FURTHER INFORMATION
Holy Rude Graveyard - Stirling visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Holy Rude Graveyard' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Stirlingshire.
The graveyard next to the Church of the Holy Rude in Stirling dominates much of the ground between the church Stirling Castle. It is open to the public and contains a number of significant graves and monuments worthy of seeing. The graveyard completed an extensive refurbishment programme in 2009, restoring several important monuments and improving access. The earliest headstones here date from 1579.
This picture was taken from the top of Ladies Rock, below which lies the Valley with a line of statues at the center. This vantage point offers panoramic views across to the Trossachs and Ben Lomond. The Valley had been an execution place of witches. A Victorian monument commemorates the Wigtown Martyrs who were drowned in 1685 for refusing to renounce their Protestant faith and convert to Catholicism.
On the far side of the graveyard is a massive pyramid, which looks totally out of place in a Christian cemetery. This, the Star Pyramid, was built in 1863 by William Drummond, and is dedicated to all those who suffered martyrdom in the cause of civil and religious liberty in Scotland. Within the pyramid is buried a bible and confession of faith. Various Christian symbols and carvings adorn each side of the pyramid.
Within the graveyard is a statue to the Rev. James Guthrie, who was inducted into Holy Rude in 1650. This notable Covenanter was was hanged at the Grassmarket in Edinburgh on 1 June 1661 for his belief and his head displayed on a stake at Netherbow Gate. A copy of the speech he delivered from the scaffold is held within the church. A statue of Ebenezer Erskine, another minister, is also here. Ebenezer was a Seceders and eventually left Holy Rude to establish his own Kirk, and new denomination, nearby.
Church of the Holy Rude
St John Street,
Stirling FK8 1ED
Tel: 01786 475275
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Bus: St John Street, Broad Street
Road: The Church of the Holy Rude is at the top of St John Street, next to the Old Town Jail. Best parking is on the Esplanade before Stirling Castle.