Dean Bridge and Water of Leith - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Panorama taken below Dean Bridge in Edinburgh. The picture shows both the bridge and Water of Leith against a cloudy sky.
Dean Bridge and Water of Leith - FURTHER INFORMATION
Dean Bridge and Water of Leith - Edinburgh visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Dean Bridge and Water of Leith' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Lothian.
Dean Bridge was built in 1832, crossing the Water of Leith in the Dean district of Edinburgh. The bridge has four arches and is 106 feet above the valley. It was designed by Thomas Telford and built at the expense of Mr John Learmonth Lord Provost of Edinburgh. Dean used to be the center of milling for the whole area. It contained 11 mills run by the 'Incorporation of Baxters' (Bakers Guild), but declined as the port of Leith prospered. Having gone through a period of decay, Dean Village is now prospering again with many of the old houses being converted into flats, offices and small workshops.
The mills were powered by the Water of Leith, a 24 mile long river that runs through the heart of Edinburgh. The Water of Leith rises in Colzium Springs at Millstone Rig of the Pentland Hills, flowing through several villages and Edinburgh before emptying into the Firth of Forth at Leith. The Water of Leith Walkway follows the path of the river for 12.5 miles from Balerno to Leith. This has become a haven for wildlife and is a popular trail for visitors and locals alike.
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Bus: Dean Bridge
Dean is just over a mile from Waverley Station and the Tourist Information Centre. The easiest way to walk there is west along Princes Street, continue past St John's Church onto Shandwick Place, and then turn right onto Queensferry Road which passes over Dean Bridge.