Wat Phu Khao Thong - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Wat Phu Khao Thong stands among paddy fields a short distance from Ayutthaya. This panorama shows the massive chedi and some of the other (mostly dilapidated) buildings within the temple complex.
Wat Phu Khao Thong - FURTHER INFORMATION
Wat Phu Khao Thong - Ayutthaya visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Wat Phu Khao Thong' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Central Thailand.
Wat Phu Khao Thong (Golden Mount) has quite a complicated history. The most prominent part is the 82m tall ziggurat Phu Khao Thong chedi that dominates the ground and view around for quite some distance. In 1569 the Burmese invaded Siam and captured Ayutthaya, building a chedi here to commemorate the battle.
A short time later King Naresuan forced the Burmese out of Siam, but Buddhist law prohibits the removal of sacred buildings so the Burmese chedi had to be allowed to remain. There is no law, however, requiring upkeep of religious sites, and eventually, after about 200 years, the Burmese chedi collapsed.
King Borommakot promptly used the opportunity to erect another chedi in Thai style on the base. This is the chedi seen today. The Thais had little time to enjoy it as the Burmese invaded Thailand again shortly after, destroying Ayutthaya and forcing the Thais to establish a new capital at Bangkok.
Most of the other buildings in Wat Phu Khao Thong are in disrepair or ruins. A Buddha statue sits exposed to the elements in Wiharn Phra Surkkatyai, the roofless temple hall. A short distance away is the Monument of King Naresuan, the most influential king of Siam responsible for evicting the Burmese in the 16th century. Wat Phu Khao Thong is sometimes referred to as Wat Phukhao Thong.
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Road: Wat Phu Khao Thong is about 2km northwest of Ayutthaya, off the 310 road.