St Elwyn the Martyr Church - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Panorama taken inside St Elwyn the Martyr church in Hayle, Cornwall. The picture reveals a white-washed stone church with stained glass windows at either end. There is a central nave with aisles running down either side under colonnades.
St Elwyn the Martyr Church - FURTHER INFORMATION
St Elwyn the Martyr Church - Penwith visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'St Elwyn the Martyr Church' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Cornwall.
The church of St Elwyn the Martyr in Hayle, Cornwall was built in 1886, eighteen years after the formation of the parish. The church was consecrated in 1888 and dedicated to Elwyn, a 5th century Irish missionary. Above the entrance is The Window, a 20th century stained glass window installed in 1934 and covering 70% of the Great West wall depicting scenes from St Elwyn's life. The window is currently in need of restoration.
St Elwyn's was built to cater for the needs of workers at the Harvey Iron Foundry at the western end of Hayle. There is no churchyard attached to the church. The church is part of the 'Godrevy Team Ministry' group which also includes the parishes of St Erth, Gwinear, Phillack and Gwithian.
St Elwyn the Martyr
St Elwyns Rise
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Train: Hayle Station
Bus: Hayle Terrace
Car: Hayle is 5 miles from St Ives (A3074), 6 miles from Penzance (A30 and B2201) and 10 miles from Redruth (A30 and B2201)