Truro Cathedral - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Panorama taken inside Truro Cathedral in Cornwall. This picture was taken from the main aisle of the cathedral, showing part of the vaulted ceiling, stained glass windows and columns with the rose window over the entrance.
Truro Cathedral - FURTHER INFORMATION
Truro Cathedral - Truro visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Truro Cathedral' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Cornwall.
Truro Cathedral stands in the middle of Truro in Cornwall. The full name of this Gothic style, Anglican cathedral church is 'Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary'. An important tourist attraction in Cornwall, the cathedral draws over 200,000 visitors a year. It has a well-stocked shop for gifts and souvenirs and a very popular restaurant housed in the Chapter House. The cathedral also hosts a number of exhibitions, concerts and other special events throughout the year.
Construction started in 1880, and this was the first English cathedral to be built on a new site since the construction of Salisbury Cathedral in 1220. The first section was consecrated in 1887, but the cathedral was not completed until 1910 with the opening of the two western towers. It is built of Cornish granite with the statues carved from stone from Bath.
Truro Cathedral stands on the site of an earlier parish church. It is one of only three cathedrals in England to have three spires, the tallest of which is 76m high. One aisle of the earlier St Mary's church is still contained within the south-east corner of the cathedral. The building is also unusual in that it has a slight bend. Even so a number of buildings on the northern side had to be purchased and demolished to make room for the new cathedral.
Truro Cathedral Office
14 St Mary's Street
Phone: 01872 276782
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Train: Truro Rail Station
Bus: St Clement Street, British Home Stores on Boscawen Street.
Car: The A39 and A390 roads pass through Truro. It is 10 miles north of Falmouth, 10 miles east of Redruth, 10 miles south of Newquay and 14 miles west of St. Austell. Parking off St Austell Road.