St Edmund's Chapel - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Panorama taken outside St Edmund's Chapel in Dover. This picture was taken in the end of the afternoon in late September 2009.
St Edmund's Chapel - FURTHER INFORMATION
St Edmund's Chapel - Dover visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'St Edmund's Chapel' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Kent.
St Edmund's Chapel is one of the oldest buildings in Dover. It was built in 1262 as a wayside chapel for pilgrims setting off for Thomas Becket's shrine at Canterbury Cathedral, as well as for the cemetery for the poor beside the Maison Dieu. At that time, St Edmund's Chapel was just outside the medieval walls of Dover.
The chapel was part of Dover Priory and therefore dissolved in 1538 by Henry VIII during the Dissolution of Monasteries. It was used for various purposes, from a victualling store for the Navy, a shop and a forge. The chapel was almost destroyed in 1943 by German shelling from France during WWII which destroyed two shops next door.
The chapel was saved from demolition post war by a private purchase and consecrated again as a site of worship in 1968 following a restoration programme. Today it rarely opens but is one of the tourist attractions on the Historic Dover route, and is maintained by the The St Edmund of Abingdon Memorial Trust.