Panorama inside St Mary's Church on Biggin Street in Dover. The picture, taken part way down the aisle, shows part of the roof structure, altar area and stained glass windows of the church. There were some bell ringers practising at the time this image was taken, they can just be seen on the platform above the church entrance.
St Mary's Church - Dover visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'St Mary's Church' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Kent.
The church of St Mary the Virgin on Biggin Street has been one of the main parish churches of Dover for over 400 years. The original structure was Norman (12th century), and the church still has a Norman tower. However the old building became unstable, possibly due to the number of burials in the church floor, and was extensively rebuilt in Gothic Style during the Victorian era.
Prior to St Mary's, the parish used to meet in St. Peter's on Market Square, but this became dilapidated and the congregation moved to St Mary's. The church was closed by Henry VIII but then re-opened by popular request from the townspeople. Between 1585 and 1826 the Freemen of Dover would elect the Mayor of Dover around the communion table inside the church.
St Mary's on Biggin Steet is not to be confused with ' St Mary in Castro', the church attached to Dover Castle. The church is one of the attractions in Dover, part of the Historic Dover trail. The church sometimes hosts concerts and other events.
St. Marys Parish Centre
Dieu Stone Lane, Cannon Street,
Dover, CT16 1BY
Phone: 01304 213899
The main church entrance is on Biggin Street.
Train: Dover Priory Station
Bus: Pencester Road
Road: St Mary's Church is on Biggin Street near to Market Square. Dover is at the end of the M20 (A20) and A2, about 10 miles east of Folkestone and 75 miles southeast of London.