Orlando's Column - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Immediately to the right of the column in this photograph is the Church of St Blaise, the patron saint of Dubrovnik.
Orlando's Column - FURTHER INFORMATION
Orlando's Column - Dubrovnik visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Orlando's Column' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Dubrovnik-Neretva.
This 15th century statue known as Orlando's Column, stands at the end of the Placa (Stradun) in the Old City of Dubrovnik, by the entrance to the Old Harbour. It is the most significant symbol of Dubrovnik's independence and freedom. In 1419 a white flag bearing the insignia of St. Blasius was raised up the column. The flag marked a golden era of Ragusan history, and flew for about 400 years, until Napoleon captured the town in 1808. Since 1990 Orlando's Column has been flying a white flag which bears one word known and understood by everyone, 'Libertas'!