Imperial War Museum London - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Panorama taken inside the Imperial War Museum in London. This picture was taken from the ground floor in the main hall and the image shows a number of canon, guns and a couple of rockets.
Imperial War Museum London - FURTHER INFORMATION
Imperial War Museum London - London visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Imperial War Museum London' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Greater London.
The Imperial War Museum (IWM) is a major tourist attraction in London. The collection and exhibitions cover various conflicts involving Britain and the Commonwealth from the First World War (WWI) to the present day. It was founded in 1917 to record the story of the Great War and the contributions made to it by the peoples of the Empire and has continued to expand since then. Over the years the main Imperial War Museum site in Lambeth has expanded and changed to accommodate new exhibits.
The Imperial War Museum contain a vast collection of war material, both in terms of war machinery, paintings, letters and sound recordings. Among the permanent exhibitions are:
- Secret War - roles and equipment used by the special forces, espionage and covert operations.
- Holocaust Exhibition - permanent exhibition about the Nazis' persecution of the Jews and other groups before and during the Second World War.
- The Children's War - major exhibition looking at WWII through the eyes of children who lived through it in Britain.
- Other Temporary Exhibitions - some of which may run for a couple of years
The IWM London is one of five branches that collectively make up the IWM nationally. The other branches of the IWM are:
- HMS Belfast - a light cruiser moored on the River Thames near to City Hall and Tower Bridge. This is a paid attraction, with free entrance to London Pass holders
- Churchill Museum and Cabinet War Rooms - located beneath the Treasury Buildings in Westminster, next to St James Park, again free entrance with the London Pass.
- Imperial War Museum Duxford - based on Duxford airbase with over 200 military and civil aircraft in seven buildings.
- Imperial War Museum North - based in Trafford, Greater Manchester, opened in 2002.
Imperial War Museum London
London, SE 1 6HZ
Phone: +44 (0)20 74165320
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Tube: Lambeth North (Bakerloo Line), Elephant and Castle (Bakerloo line, Northern Line).
Bus: 1, 12, 45, 53, 63, 68, 100, 168, 171, 172, 176, 188