South Leith Parish Church - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Virtual tour panorama taken outside South Lieth Parish Church in Edinburgh. The image shows ancient gravestones in the churchyard overlooked by a nearby tower block under an overcast sky in May 2009.
South Leith Parish Church - FURTHER INFORMATION
South Leith Parish Church - Edinburgh visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'South Leith Parish Church' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Lothian.
South Leith Parish Church stands just beyond Kirkgate Shopping Centre in Lieth, Edinburgh, close to Shore. This is an active church community with numerous clubs and social events as well as mid-week fellowship groups.
The first church building on the site dates back to a chapel dedicated to Mary in built around 1483, which was seriously damaged by English warships bombarding Leith in the 1560's. The building was greatly restored between 1847 and 1848, giving the current Gothic building. It has become a minor tourist attraction due to the beautiful Hammerbeam roof seen inside. The east end of the church has a beautiful stained glass window flanked by organ pipes.
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Bus: Constitution Street (12, 16, 35), Great Junction Street (7, 10, 12, 14, 16, 25, 49)