San Bernardo alle Terme - FURTHER INFORMATION
San Bernardo alle Terme - Rome visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'San Bernardo alle Terme' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Roma.
This panorama inside the church of S Bernardo alle Terme was taken by balancing the camera on the end of a pew. Using a tripod was not permitted by the watchful lady patrolling the church, but using the furniture did not raise an objection.
S Bernardo alle Terme is quite a small church tucked away on the Piazza S. Bernardo opposite Santa Susanna on the Via XX Septembre. The outside is painted a pastel pink colour. The church is circular, set into one of the circular halls that stood at the corners of the Diocletian Baths that may have been a temple (the name translates as Saint Bernard by the baths). Unfortunately, Plazza S. Bernardo in front of the church has been converted into a very crowded and unattractive parking lot. Diagonally across the street is S Maria della Vittoria.
S Bernardo alle Terme was built in 1598 and given to a French Cistercian group called the Feuillants. San Bernardo similar in design to the Pantheon, being cylindrical with a dome and an oculus some 22m across. The dome decoration is made of octagonal coffers. The main focus of the interior are eight statues of saints housed in niches of the walls by Camillo Mariani. There are also two side altars dedicated to St Bernard and St Robert of Molesmes, co-founders of the Cistercian Order.
The German painter Johann Friedrich Overbeck who founded the Nazarene art movement, is interred here and off to one side is the Chapel of St Francis that was added to the ancient rotunda.
San Bernardo alle Terme,
Via Torino, 94, Rome