Loulé - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
General sight of Loulé, showing the Castle, the Historical Zone and the First Church. Loulé is the largest and most populated municipalityof the Algarve. The region is well known for the town of Vilamoura, Vale do Lobo beach resort and the Quinta do Lago golf resort.
Loulé - FURTHER INFORMATION
Loulé - Loulé visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Loulé' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Algarve.
Loulé is the capital city of the Loulé district of the Algarve in Portugal. The town picturesque town contains remains of a 12th century Moorish castle. Sadly, like most other towns in the Algarve, many of the historical buildings were destroyed in the 1755 earthquake.
Loulé Tourist Attractions
- Capela de Nossa Senhora da Piedade - 16th century church on a hillside about 2km west of Loulé with good views of the surrounding countryside.
- Loulé Carnival - held every February, considered one of the best carnivals in Portugal.
- Ermida de Nossa Senhora da Conceiçao - 17th century church built in celebration of the independence of Portugal being achieved from Spain.
- Igreja Matriz de São Clemente - main church in Loulé with foundations dating back to the 13th century.
- Loulé Municipal Museum - known locally as the 'Convento do Espírito Santo / Museu', the museum occupies a refurbished wing of the Convent of the Holy Spirit, which was founded in the 17th century and disbanded in 1836.
- Romaria da Senhora da Piedade - a religious festival held each March.
- Salir - quiet, attractive village 15km east of Loulé with remains of a Moorish castle and simple village church.
- Alte - very picturesque village about 25km northwest of Loulé, becoming an increasingly popular tourist attraction as a result.
- Almancil - coastal village with access to beaches and various hotels.
- Alto Fica caves and Rocha da Pena cliffs.
- São Bras de Alportel Museum - small museum inside the hotel with a small collection of collection of rural artefacts and costumes.
Loulé Tourist Information Office
Edifício do Castelo
Tel. ++351 289-463900
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Car: Loulé is just north of the IP1 road, about 45km west of Tavira and 55km east of Portimao.