Ile de Ré, Phare de la Baleine - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
At the top of the Phare de la Baleine, Ile de Ré
Ile de Ré, Phare de la Baleine - FURTHER INFORMATION
Ile de Ré, Phare de la Baleine - La Rochelle visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Ile de Ré, Phare de la Baleine' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Poitou-Charentes.
Phare des Baleines (Lighthouse of Whales) was built in 1669 by Augier to guide ships past the dangerous waters around the Ile de Ré near La Rochelle in France. The 3-storey lighthouse is built from stone from the Saint-Savinien quarries and is now classified as an Historical Monument.
Île de RéAlso known as 'Île de Rhé', 'Île de Rhéa' or 'Île de Rhea', this is a totally flat, 30km by 5km island connected by a 3km road bridge to La Rochelle. During Roman times this this was a collection of 3 islands, but the channels dividing them have filled in over the centuries.
In 1625 the islands were occupied by Soubise led a Huguenot who led a revolt against Louis XIV. He was defeated later in that year and fled to England. in 1627 George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham led an English expedition that attacked the island in an attempt to break the Siege of La Rochelle. This resulted in a 3 month long Siege of Saint-Martin-de-Ré after which the Duke was forced to retreat. The main port on the island is Saint Martin, which as a sea fort.
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Car: Phare de la Baleine is about 30km from the center of La Rochelle and 20km from Saint Martin de Rhé.