Glenmuick Church - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
a sunny evening in ballater, with glenmuick church and surrounding area.
Glenmuick Church - FURTHER INFORMATION
Glenmuick Church - Ballater visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Glenmuick Church' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Aberdeenshire.
Glenmuick Church dominates the center of Ballater in Aberdeenshire in Scotland. The first church was built on the site in 1798 when the three parishes formed during the Reformation in 1560 came together to form the one new parish of Glenmuick, Tullich & Glengairn. The other churches in the former parishes were abandoned and worshippers had to make their way to Glenmuick Church church in Ballater.
Much of the church found today dates from the late 19th century, when it was decided to build a grander church to serve the parish. The current Glenmuick church was designed by J Russell Mackenzie. The most dominant feature outside Glenmuick church is the spire, as seen in this picture. Originally the church had a capacity of 600 in the main body and a gallery capable of holding a further 100 souls. However, so tight were the pews that there was no room to kneel. In 1889 the church organ was installed, pulpit moved and the pews also moved, reducing the church's capacity.
Much of the interior is dominated by the massive church organ, installed in the apse in 1889 by Foster and Andrews of Hull. The church has a large nave with two aisles. In the south wall are three stained glass windows, added at different times over 150 years and in very different styles.
Ballater AB35 5NE
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Car: Ballater is on the A93, 40 miles west of Aberdeen and 65 miles north of Perth.