Karmeliterplatz - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Panorama showing Karmeliterplatz and the buildings surrounded it. At the east end is a pool with a fountain and a statue on a column.
Karmeliterplatz - FURTHER INFORMATION
Karmeliterplatz - Graz visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Karmeliterplatz' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Styria.
Karmeliterplatz lies northeast of the Graz Burg, next to the Stadtpark and Burgarten. It was laid out in 1578 as the town extended and is named after the former Carmelite convent which existed here until 1784. After that time the convent was secularized and currently houses the police headquarters in Graz. Paths lead from the eastern end of the square up to the top of the Schlossburg.
On the eastern end of Karmeliterplatz is a memorial to those who fell in WWII. At the southern end is is a Trinity Column, dated 1680, which stands in front of the Palias Geller (1690). The fountain in the square is new, installed in 2004. Nearby is the new Tiefgarage Pfauengarten (Underground Peacock Garden) shopping complex.