Florence Cathedral - View from Cupola - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
This panorama was created by taking a series of images walking around the Cupola of Florence Cathedral. It provides a stunning 360 view over Florence from about 100m above the streets.
Florence Cathedral - View from Cupola - FURTHER INFORMATION
Florence Cathedral - View from Cupola - Florence visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Florence Cathedral - View from Cupola' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Tuscany.
The Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore (Duomo) is one of the top tourist attractions in Florence (Firenze). The cathedral is the fourth largest church in Europe, some 153m by 90m wide at the transepts. Top of the cross on the dome is 114.5m high. Around the top of the dome, at the base of the lantern, is an external viewing platform, allowing amazing views over Florence, with Giotto's Campanile (Bell Tower) rising beside the cathedral building. The Baptistery of St John is mostly hidden by the cathedral roof.
Entrance to the Dome and Cupola is ticketed. The way up is via 463 stairs and there is no lift. Visitors are rewarded with a walk around the interior of the base of the dome giving a good close up view of the Final Judgement paintings that decorate it as well as an impressive view back down to the High Altar and cathedral nave far below.
Florence Cathedral and Piazza del Duomo - Virtual ToursFull list of virtual tour images in this collection taken around the Cathedral and associated buildings, some of which are not open to the public:
- Florence Cathedral Nave showing the massive expanse of the church.
- High Altar and cathedral dome.
- Altar of St Zenobius at the far end of the cathedral (not open to public).
- Florence Cathedral Mass Sacristy with wooden panelling (not open to public).
- View from Cupola overlooking the whole of Florence.
- Baptistery of San Giovanni with the mosaic ceiling.
- Florence from top of Giotto's Campanile (Bell Tower) showing a panoramic view over the city.
- Top Level and Penultimate Level of Giotto's Campanile (Bell Tower), images from inside the tower.
- Giotto's Campanile and South side of Cathedral showing the stunning polychrome marble decorations.
Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore (Duomo)
Piazza del Duomo,
9-red, 50122 Firenze,
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Bus: Roma - Calzoleria Bologna (C1, C2), Pucci (14, 23, 71, C1)