Piazza and Palazzo Pitti - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Virtual tour showing Piazza dei Pitti and the associated Palazzo Pitti after which the square is named.
Piazza and Palazzo Pitti - FURTHER INFORMATION
Piazza and Palazzo Pitti - Florence visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Piazza and Palazzo Pitti' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Tuscany.
Palazzo Pitti (Pitti Palace) is one of the top attractions in Florence (Firenze). This massive Renaissance palace was built for Lica Pitti, a wealthy banker, in the 15th century. The core of Palazzo Pitti dates from 1458 but the fortunes of the Pitti family changed and in 1549 it was purchased by the Medici family becoming the ruling families of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany. As a result Palazzo Pitti accumulated a vast collection of paintings, plates, jewelry, other works of art and luxury items. Behind the palace Medici built the vast Giardino di Boboli (Boboli Gardens).
In 1919 King Victor Emmanuel III donated Palazzo Pitti and all the art contained therein to the people of Italy and it is now one of the largest and most important collections of art in Florence.
Palazzo Pitti - Galleries and CollectionsPalazzo Pitti is the largest museum complex in Florence, covering 32,000 square metres and divided into several galleries and museums:
- Palatine Gallery - contains over 500 principally Renaissance paintings by artists like Correggio, Pietro da Cortona, Raphael, Rubens and Titian. The rooms themselves are also highly decorated in Baroque style.
- Royal Apartments - 14 rooms, formerly used by the Medici family, and lived in by their successors. the rooms were altered in the 19th Century and now contain various period furnishings, like four-poster beds and furniture not found elsewhere in the palazzo.
- Gallery of Modern Art - originally intended to show works of the 18th century, which were then modern. The collection grew so vast that much was moved to Palazzo Croncetta in the mid 19th century. Today the Gallery covers 30 rooms with late art from 1700 to early 1900, focussing mostly on 19th and early 20th century works.
- Silver Museum - also called the 'Medici Treasury' this is a priceless collection of silver, cameos, and works in semi-precious gemstones from the 15th century onwards. There is also some German gold items brought by by Grand Duke Ferdinand in the 19th century. The Silver Museum occupies part of the Royal Apartments which are sumptuously decorated in 17th-century frescoes, the most splendid being by Giovanni di San Giovanni.
- Costume Gallery - housed in the Palazzina della Meridiana it contains theatrical costumes and clothing from the 16th century onwards. The collection occupies 14 rooms and is also the only Italian museum detailing the history of Italian fashions.
- Carriages Museum - housed on the ground floor it shows the extensive collection of carriages and other conveyances used by the Grand Ducal court in the late 18th and 19th century.
- Porcelain Museum - housed in the Casino del Cavaliere in the Boboli Gardens and opened in 1973 it contains porcelain from the most notable producers in Europe including Sèvres and Meissen near Dresden.
Palazzo Pitti / Boboli Gardens
Piazza Pitti I-