Chiesa di Sant Ambrogio Church - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Virtual tour panorama taken inside Chiesa di Sant Ambrogio, one of the Churches in Florence. The image was taken from the nave, near the front of the church.
Chiesa di Sant Ambrogio Church - FURTHER INFORMATION
Chiesa di Sant Ambrogio Church - Florence visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Chiesa di Sant Ambrogio Church' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Tuscany.
This is a 10th century church dedicated to St Ambrose of Milan, and in 988 belonged to Benedictine nuns. Much of the current church is Gothic and dates from the 13th century. Further changes were made during the Renaissance period, which sometimes destroyed earlier works of art. The facade of the church is painted plain white, but this belies the works found within.
Chiesa di Sant Ambrogio (St Ambrose Church) - Art and InteriorSome of the true treasures that used to be housed in Sant Ambrogio, like the 'Santa Anna Metterza' by Masaccio and Masolino and Filippino Lippi's 'Incoronazione Maringhi' (Incoronation of the Virgin) have been moved to the Uffizi. Works still found within the church include:
- 'Madonna Enthroned with Saints John and Bartholomew' by Andrea Orcagna
- 'Madonna del Latte' (Madonna Suckling Jesus) by one of Orcagna's students is on the second arch to the right.
- 'Jesus among the Saints' by Cosimo Rosselli is in the third arch tot he right.
- Baroque apse and altar inlaid with semi-precious stones by Foggini in the 18th century.
- 15th century Cappella del Miracolo houses a flask containing blood found by the priest Ugaccione in the chalice after Mass in the 1230
- Frescoes, recently restored, by Cosimo Rosselli
- Other works can be found by Agnolo Gaddi, Niccolò Gerini, Lorenzo di Bicci, Masaccio, Filippo Lippi, Sandro Botticelli, Alesso Baldovinetti, Mino da Fiesole, Fra Bartolomeo and more.
Chiesa di Sant Ambrogio
Piazza di Sant'Ambrogio, 7
Italia - 055 240104
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Bus: Annigoni (C2, C3), Agnolo - Lisa Corti Home Textile (14, 71, C2, C3)