Church of Luz - Interior - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Virtual tour panorama taken inside the Church of Luz, in Carnide, Lisbon, this picture shows part of the interior of the nave.
Church of Luz - Interior - FURTHER INFORMATION
Church of Luz - Interior - Lisbon visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Church of Luz - Interior' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Distrito Lisboa.
The Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Luz in Lisbon was designed by Jerónimo de Ruão in 1575 on the orders of Infanta Dona Maria. The vast church showing Mannerist Italian influence and was completed in 1596 replacing an older chapel. The church suffered suffered severe damage in the earthquake of 1755, affecting the chancel, the arch of the cruise and part of the walls.
The main altar still retains low reliefs in Jasper with allegorical figurations. The great Mannerist panel, painted in 1590 by Diogo Teixeira and Francisco Venegas, introduced and promoted a new kind of composition of panels to Portugal.
The various paintings with religious themes, featuring scenes from the life of the Virgin and Christ, are found within the church. The largest of these is Our Lady of Luz and Child appearing to poor Peter Martins, the miracle that led to the founding of the original chapel. The main chapel and the tomb of the Infanta Dona Maria are now classified as national monuments.
The Church of Luz stands near Jardim da Luz, opposite the Military School in the Carnide district of Lisbon. Also in Carnide are the Hospital of Luz and Colombo Shopping Center, one of the top ten shopping centres in Europe. Nearby to is the Towers of Lisbon development and the chic quarter of Telheiras.
Largo da Luz
1600 Lisbon, Portugal
217 144 488
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Flight: Lisbon International Airport (LIS)
Bus: 3, 64, 202, 204, 726, 767, 768, stops
Metro: Colégio Militar/Luz stop