Leith Links in the Sunshine - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
sunshine, shadows and trees on leith links.
Leith Links in the Sunshine - FURTHER INFORMATION
Leith Links in the Sunshine - Edinburgh visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Leith Links in the Sunshine' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Lothian.
Leith Links are the largest, and main park / open space within Leith, in Edinburgh, covering 46 acres between Claremont Park and South Leith Parish Church. They are named after their association with golf. Documents from the mid 1400's state that playing golf and football on the Leith Links was banned as it interfered with archery practice, so it is safe to assume that golf was played here for some time before that.
Leith Links was used as a gun battery placement during the Siege of Leith in 1561, but golf remained a part of the life of the Leith Links for some time. The main rules of golf developed here, adopted by the Royal and Ancient Company of Golfers. For those interested in golf, the oldest golf course in the world is found nearby in Musselburgh.
Leith Links was formalised as a Public Park in 1888. Today it contains toddlers' play areas and football pitches, informal cricket grounds and enclosed crown bowls bowling greens. There are also Tennis courts and a putting green, both currently dis-used.