Santa Maria dei Servi Church - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Panorama taken outside Santa Maria dei Servi Basilica church in Siena. This image shows the view over Piazza Alessandro Manzoni and west to the central part of Siena. On the skyline you can see the dome and campanile of the cathedral and the tall Torre del Mangia rising above Palazzo Pubblico.
Santa Maria dei Servi Church - FURTHER INFORMATION
Santa Maria dei Servi Church - Siena visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Santa Maria dei Servi Church' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Tuscany.
The Basilica Church of Santa Maria dei Servi of Siena is a 13th century church, built on the site of the former San Clement church and annexed to a new convent. it was later altered in the 15th and 16th centuries. The church stands on the southern end of Piazza Alessandro Manzoni, south-east of the Siena Cathedral and Piazza del Campo.
The 15th century façade was never finished. Santa Maria dei Servi is a popular attraction due to the fine frescoes inside and the tall, Romanesque bell tower (campanile). As seen in this picture, the campanile has for rows of windows, increasing in number on each level to retain perspective.
Santa Maria dei Servi - ArtInside Santa Maria dei Servi are numerous important frescoes, works of art and other artefacts, worth a vist:
- 'Nativity of Mary' fresco by Rutilio Manetti (1625).
- 'Massacre of the Innocents' fresco by Matteo di Giovanni (1491).
- 'Adoration of the Shepherds' fresco by Taddeo di Bartolo (1404).
- 'Madonna di Belverde' late 14th century fresco by Jacopo di Mino del Pellicciaio and Taddeo di Bartolo.
- 'Massacre of the Innocents' painted by various artists including Pietro Lorenzetti around 1330.
- 'Madonna del Bordone' by by Coppo di Marcovaldo (1261).
- 'Madonna della Misericordia' (Madonna del Manto), by Giovanni di Paolo (1431).
- Painted Cross hanging in one of the chapels in the transept, by Niccolò di Segna.
- 'Incoronation of the Virgin and Saints' by Bernardino Fungai forming the main altarpiece.
- 'Madonna del Bordone' by Coppo di Marcovaldo after he was taken prisoner by the Sienese in the Battle of Montaperti in 1260.
Santa Maria dei Servi
Piazza Alessandro Manzoni
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Bus: V. Dei Servi Civico (26, 27, 28, 50, 51, 590), Porta Romana (111, 114, 506, 567, 568, 590, 593, 604, 606, 607, 639)
Walk: About 900m from Piazza del Campo down Via di Salicotto and Vis dei Servi.