Ericeira - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
This virtual tour taken at Largo dos Navegantes in Ericeira, fishing village, which has the sea as a source of inspiration, gastronomy based on seafood, and features excellent hotel facilities.
Ericeira - FURTHER INFORMATION
Ericeira - Ericeira visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Ericeira' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Distrito Lisboa.
Ericeira is a picturesque fishing village on the shores of Atlantic Ocean, about 50 km northwest of Lisbon. It is named after Ouriceira, which derives from Ouriço, the Portuguese name for a sea urchin, which is still depicted on the town's the coat of arms. The region around Ericeira was probably settled by the Phoenicians, and the first charter dates from 1229, issued by the Grand Master of the Order of Aviz. When the royal family was driven into exile they stayed in Mafra, a convent about 8km north of Ericeira
Ericeira - Toursit AttractionsEriceira is very popular with surfers, but also has a couple of museums and other attractions. Among the top tourist attractions in and around Ericeira are:
- Coxos Beach - one of the most popular surf beaches in Ericeira.
- Ribeira d'Ilhas Beach - another very popular and pretty surfing beach
- Baleia Beach - also known as Sul beach, another place for a spot of surfing.
- Museu da Sta. Casa da Misericórdia da Ericeira - museum of history, ancient art, ethnology and archeology.
- Festivals - Ericeira holds a number of festivals during the year including the festivasl of S. Sebastião and S. Vicente in January, festival of N. Sra. da Boa Viagem in August and N. Sra. da Conceição in December.
- Casa de Cultura Jaime Lobo E Silva - contains part of the municipal library, an exhibition gallery, an auditorium and a youth space.
- Surfing - surfing is big in Ericeira and the town has a number of dedicated surfing hotels and other venues popular with surfers.
Ericeira Tourist Office
Rua Dr. Eduardo Burnay, 46
Tel.: 261 863 122
Fax: 261 864 136
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Flight: Lisbon International Airport (LIS).
Road: Ericeira is about 45kms from from Lisbon Airport A8, N116, N247.