Montreux - FURTHER INFORMATION
Montreux - Montreux visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Montreux' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Vaud.
Montreux is situated at the foot of the Alps at the eastern end of Lake Geneva (Lac Léman) in the canton of Vaud in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. Montreux was an important settlement in Roman times, lying at the intersection of the Roman road from Italy over the Simplon Pass and the roads to Gaul. In the 12th century the region had an important wine industry. During the Reformation, Montreux was a popular haven for Huguenots from Italy. From the tourism point of view, Montreux is mostly known for its world-famous two week long Jazz Festival.
Montreux - Tourist AttractionsThe Jazz Festival aside (at which many modern pop groups also play), there are several tourist attractions in Montreux worth a mention. Among the most popular Montreux tourist attractions are:
- Château de Chillon - one of the most visited places in Switzerland, the castle of Château de Chillon sits on the shores of the lake 3km from Montreux, mentioned as far back as the 11th century.
- Rochers-de-Naye - 2042m high mountain accessible by 45 minute cog-ride train from Montreux, home to Marmots' Paradise, full of Alpine plants and walks.
- Golden Award of Montreux - international advertising and multimedia competition and awards that takes place each April.
- International Jazz Festival - two-week festival during July with a non-stop 12-hour overnight marathon featuring dozens of performers.
- Chateau de Chatelard - 15th century castle, now the focus of the local wine industry.
- St-Saphorin - typical wine-growing village in the mountains around Montreux. Train des Vignes (Wine Train) - 8km train journey through various vineyards with stunning views of the lake, the Rhone Valley and the Alps.
- Skiing/Snowboarding - Montreux is within easy access of both Rougemont-Chateau-d'Oex-Gstaad and Villars-Gryon-Diablerets-Leysin-Les Mosses skiing resorts. Hiking and Walking - Montreux is a good base from which to explore the surrounding mountains, like Dent de Jaman, during the summer.
Montreux Tourist Information Office / Office Montreux-Vevey Tourisme
Place de la Gare (Station Square)
1071 Chexbres, Switzerland
Tel: 021 962 84 64