Pangbourne - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Virtual tour image taken in Pangbourne in early April 2012, part way through a country walk along the Thames from Goring to Mapledurham.
Pangbourne - FURTHER INFORMATION
Pangbourne - Pangbourne visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Pangbourne' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Berkshire.
Pangbourne is an ancient Saxon settlement alongside the River Thames in Berkshire. It was known at 'the stream of the Pǣga people' (Pegingaburnan), a local Saxon chief. In Roman times, Pangbourne lay on the Roman Road running from Silchester to Dorchester-on-Thames. Eventually, the name was shortened to Pangbourne (Pang River). It is first recorded in a grant written by Bertwulf, King of Mercia, to the Bishop of Leicester in the 9th century. The monarch, who murdered the previous king to take the throne, is depicted on the village signs.
In Norman times, the manor and land were deeded to Reading Abbey, with the manor house becoming the summer residence of the Abbot. The last Abbot, Hugh Faringdon, was tried for treason during Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries and executed by hanging in Reading in 1539. The manor house was then purchased by Sir John Davis, who, along with the Earl of Essex, captured Cadiz.
Pangbourne also has links with Lord Nelson, whose favourite bosun, Tom Carter, lived here and is buried in the churchyard. It is likely that the nearby shooters hill saw canon emplacement to guard the River Thames during the English Civil War, and canon balls have been found on the site.
Pangbourne is linked to Whitchurch-on-Thames by an iron toll bridge, built in 1901 and one of only 2 active toll bridges still charging for crossings still in existence. Pangbourne also boasts links to Wind in the Willows, as the author Kenneth Grahame retired to Church Cottage and died there.
Pangbourne - Tourist AttractionsLying along the River Thames, Pangbourne has several notable buildings and landmarks, both within the town and in the surrounding area. Among the local Pangbourne tourist attractions are:
- Whitchurch Bridge - built in 1901 linking Pangbourne to Whitchurch, it is one of only 2 remaining toll bridges in the UK.
- St James the Less Church - burial site of Nelson's favourite bosun and Sir John Davis.
- River Thames Path - walk along the banks of the river either towards Goring or downriver to Reading and beyond to Henley-on-Thames.
- Whitchurch - small village just over the river from Pangbourne.
- Basildon House and Park - Georgian country house and grounds, now managed by the National Trust.
- Beale Park Wildlife Park - animal park with gardens and various attractions for the whole family.
- Mapledurham House and Mill - late 16th century manor house built by Michael Blount, courtier and Luitenant of the Tower. Property now managed by the National Trust.
- Hardwick House and Stud Farm - the stud farm stables are a lovely C-shaped building overlooking meadows with views of the Thames.
- Bozedown Alpacas - billed as the premier Alpaca breading farm in the UK, suddenly stumble across fields holding up to 800 Alpacas between Whitchurch and Mapledurham.
- Local Woodlands - many local walks pass through various woodlands and copses, some of which are also accessible for horse-riding and cycling.
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Road: Pangbourne is on the junction of the A329 and A340 roads, about 6 miles west of Reading and 22 miles south of Oxford.
Train: Pangbourne Station, with direct trains to Oxford, Reading and London Paddington station.
Boat: Along the River Thames.