St Marys Church Whitchurch-on-Thames - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Virtual tour panorama showing the outside of St Mary's Church in Whitchurch-on-Thames. This image was taken in early April 2011.
St Marys Church Whitchurch-on-Thames - FURTHER INFORMATION
St Marys Church Whitchurch-on-Thames - Pangbourne visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'St Marys Church Whitchurch-on-Thames' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Berkshire.
St Mary the Virgin Church building in Whitchurch-on-Thames was founded by the Saxons and then developed by the Normans. It was the refurbished during the reign of Edward IV in the 16th century, rebuilt by the Victorians in 1857, and refurbished again in 1901. The church was originally used by Catholics, but then changed to become an Anglican building during the reign of Henry VIII.
The south, east and west walls date from the 11th century, though the windows are Victorian. The spire was built in 1857 and the belfry houses 6 bells. The belfry rests on iron pillars provided by the workshops of the Great Western Railway. Inside, many of the church roof timbers are Medieval, as are the stained glass windows.
Some features found in the church include:
- Foliated Cross that used to be sited above the Norman south doorway is now on display in a glass cabinet, replaced by a modern replica above the doorway itself.
- Chancel and side aisle lined with many stone monuments that used to adorn the walls.
- Medieval brasses adorn two cedar wood panels.
- Victorian reredos cast from reconstituted stone, Victorian font in Gothic Revival style.
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Road: Whtichurch is on the B471, on the north bank of the River Thames oposite Pangbourne. It is about 6 miles west of Reading and 22 miles south of Oxford.
Train: Pangbourne Station, with direct trains to Oxford, Reading and London Paddington station.
Boat: Along the River Thames.